Learn About the LIBI Difference
For over 50 years, the Long Island Business Institute has been providing its students with quality career training. We’ve built our reputation on providing low-cost and career-focused higher education to generations of students. Our programs give you the skills and confidence you need to pursue your career goals.
History of Long Island Business Institute
Long Island Business Institute (LIBI) began in 1968 as a business school in Commack, Long Island, and was certified as an occupational College in 1995 by the New York State Board of Regents. The Regents authorized LIBI to award the Associate in Occupational Studies (A.O.S.) degree in Court Reporting under the guidance of the Office of Higher Education of the New York State Education Department (NYSED). Since then, degree programs in Accounting, Business Management, Emergency Care Management, Homeland Security and Security Management, Hospitality Management, and Office Technology with Medical Office Option have been registered with NYSED, along with certificate programs in Court Reporting, Elder Care Administration, Hospitality Management, and English as a Second Language. Long Island Business Institute is a proprietary college accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) to award certificates and associate degrees.
In 2001, LIBI opened a branch campus in Flushing, New York; and in 2008, it was redesignated as the main campus. As of 2013, LIBI Commack has approximately 120 enrolled students and LIBI Flushing has over 758 students. Average class size is small, allowing for attention to the needs of individual students. Convenient and flexible day and evening schedules meet the needs of adults with family and work obligations.
The mission of the Long Island Business Institute is to provide a culturally diverse student body with current and relevant career and technical training that leads to new employment opportunities. LIBI provides a well-rounded educational experience for the development of a broader range of skill sets required to succeed in today’s complex and challenging business environment. LIBI strives to create a positive and empowering learning environment that supports the immediate efforts of our students and lays the foundation for life-long learning.
The vision for LIBI is to be the pathway that connects our graduates to their professional goals.
Reaching out to a diverse student population, LIBI will strive to provide support services that help students successfully meet their academic and professional growth goals.
The college will integrate general education courses into a career-focused education.
Students will receive training that is experientially based and focused on the real world, as well as industry-related training that will meet the needs of employers.
Graduates will be ready and motivated to become assets to employers and contributing members of the community.
The administration, faculty and staff are committed to meeting the following challenges:
- Educate students from diverse backgrounds.
- Strive to maintain a respectful, responsive, supportive and inclusive working environment for our faculty and staff.
- Strive to maintain a professional, helpful and supportive environment for our students.
- Meet the needs of our students in a friendly, timely, and caring manner.
- Foster participation of the students and employees in culturally enriching activities.
- Continue to seek the guidance of the individuals who employ our students to update our curriculum in ways that better meet the demands of the marketplace.
- Develop and implement programs that allow students to become proficient in a specific area.
- Hold employees accountable for competently performing their job functions.
- Create an environment that fosters the spirit of cooperation, innovation, and respect for each other.
- Provide the resources necessary to meet the needs of faculty and staff.
- Strive to instill in our graduates the desire for life-long learning.
Is Long Island Business Institute Right For You? Get More Info…
For more information on career training and to explore if LIBI is right for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.
For immediate questions, call 718-939-5100